Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week One and Motivation


It was a great recovery week. Much better than I had anticipated. Sure, day one and day two were rough. Why shouldn't they be? By day three, I knew the doctor was right when he said 2 forward, 1 backward. I had to take Wednesday off. The foot was sore and a little swelling was noticeable next to the incision. But, that turned out to be the right thing to do as day four and day five were kick ass for someone recovering from a cheilectomy! Started the week with a very slow 1.6 miles, and ended with a 2.5 mile jog in 32 minutes. I was very pleased. Being ever vigilant about my biomechanics, I am noticing minor issues. My right knee clicks when I climb stairs. I know that's from favoring the left foot for weeks, and will no doubt disappear when I finally get my weight evenly distributed. I'm limping a lot less though, and moving through space a little quicker. I am very happy that the pain I experienced on Friday was comparable to the pain I had the week before surgery, so I know it's healing.

That brings me to the motivation part. Usually, I am highly self motivated, and don't need too much to spur me in to action. Training for Ironman taught me how to take myself out there and pound out a workout. Today, I found new motivation in a strange place. The dressing room in Dick's Sporting Goods. Oh yeah, nothing quite like the annual excursion to purchase the summer's swimsuit to bring it all in to sharp focus. Liposuction came to mind. I left with the new suit, and new found motivation to run my ass off. On to week two! My goal is to hit a 5K by Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment