Monday, May 2, 2011

The Longest Mile


....is the first mile. Especially after double foot surgery. Today was my first step on to the treadmill. A familiar place. I stashed my water bottle in the usual cubby hole, turned on the TV and tuned to CNN (which held my interest this morning...normally does not), and pushed START. I quickly discovered that walking is not fun or pain free. I had assumed that jogging might be easier since I wouldn't be "pushing off" with nearly the degree of flexion. Gee, wouldn't it be easier to simply bounce up and down in a jog? My hand reached out for the speed control and started to tap it. 2.5, 2.8, 3.0, 3.4, 3.5....OK that's enough. The jogging was going pretty well. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remembered the surgeon saying "OK to walk/jog". Then, it slipped right out of my mind. I was enjoying my new found freedom so much I kept going for 30 minutes. I ended up with 1.6 miles. Normally, I would say "big woop" and slap myself for such a wimpy run. Not so today. Big celebration! I packed my gym bag for another try tomorrow. 1.7?

No comments:

Post a Comment