Monday, April 25, 2011

Stitchless

Today was my 2 week follow up appointment with Dr. L. Mostly, I was to show up to have the stitches removed (yes, I must admit I was tempted to snip...). I saw him in the hallway as I made my way down to x-ray for the obligatory post surgery films. I loved it when he said "Hey! You're doing great!".

This was my first chance to chat with him after the surgery. I had a few questions for him. The pin in my right foot was so loose it spun around when he tried to grab it. OK, good thing I had that removed. No telling what that could have led to. My hallux rigidus turned out to be grade 3 (scale is 1, 2 or 3). He told me I had 50% bone-on-bone, and when he opened the toe, there were many pieces of bone fragments that had come off of the new little "wings" my body was creating to cushion itself. OK, that confirms the reason it was hurting so bad.

The bigger question was "when can I?". Loved the answer. Cleared for elliptical and/or bike tomorrow morning, and cleared for walk/jog next Monday. I was cautioned that I will have a few steps forward and one backward for a few weeks. He reminded me to pay attention to any swelling, and back off accordingly. I was also instructed on correct massage techniques to help the scar tissue dissipate and aid in the scar becoming as supple as one can make a scar.

The best thing he said: "I usually have my patients come back for another 4 week followup, but you....you go and have a nice life, call me if you need me".

Yippee! A successful surgery. On to the recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment